Glessner House Museum

Official Homepage: www.glessnerhouse.org/

Fee: $10

Sun. 1 PM–3 PM
Mon. Closed
Tue. Closed
Wed. 1 PM–3 PM
No-Fee Hours: 1 PM–3 PM
Thu. 1 PM–3 PM
Fri. 1 PM–3 PM
Sat. 1 PM–3 PM
Staticmap?size=240x130&markers=41.857718,-87
1800 S. Prairie Avenue
Chicago, Chicago 60616
(312) 326-1480

Check the Glessner House website for additional hours, special pricing/discounts, and closure dates.

Nearby

The Glessner House (website) is a Museum (Historical) in Chicago.
Official description from Glessner House:

A National Historic Landmark, Glessner House was designed by noted American architect Henry Hobson Richardson and completed in 1887. It remains an internationally-known architectural treasure in Chicago. A radical departure from traditional Victorian architecture, the structure served as an inspiration to the young Frank Lloyd Wright and helped redefine domestic architecture.

As one of the country's premier sites for the study and enjoyment of decorative arts, Glessner House Museum offers both the casual visitor and the serious connoisseur a unique opportunity to partake in the pleasures of the Aesthetic and English Arts and Crafts movements. The museum's conservation of the Glessners' remarkable collection of objects provides today's collector with a living workshop from which to take guidance.

Glessner House Museum helps illuminate the present by bringing the past to life with a wealth of subjects to study, present, dramatize, and celebrate—from the glamour of the Gilded Age, to the vast cultural changes surrounding World War I, to the excitement of the Jazz Age and Prohibition. Lectures, programs and events attract diverse audiences for education and entertainment.

Wikipedia excerpt:
The John J. Glessner House, operated as the Glessner House Museum, is an important 19th-century residence located at 1800 S. Prairie Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. It was designed in 1885-1886 by architect Henry Hobson Richardson and completed in late 1887. The property was designated a Chicago Landmark on October 14, 1970. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1970 and as a National Historic Landmark on January 7, 1976. John Jacob Glessner (1843–1936) was a partner in the firm of Warder, Bushnell & Glessner, a farm machinery manufacturer headquartered in Springfield, Ohio. Immediately after his marriage in 1870 to Frances Macbeth, Glessner relocated to Chicago where he opened a branch office. In 1902, the firm and four others, including McCormick and Deering, merged to form International Harvester, which became the fourth largest corporation in the country. Glessner was appointed vice president and continued in that capacity until his death in 1936 at the age of 92.

We don't have any current exhibitions on file, most likely because we're still collecting listings.

In the meantime, check out the Glessner House homepage or our exhibitions list for Chicago-wide exhibits.

Official Glessner House Links
aGogh in Chicago

Affiliations

Glessner House is affiliated with: ArchiCenter

Note: This site is still in a alpha, unfinished form. The information for aGogh was almost entirely hand-gathered and so there may be errors and omissions. See an error? Contact us.

Membership

The Glessner House is supported by a membership program. See their pricing and benefits.


Help Wanted

Weed-burner

Most of this information for this site has been compiled manually, so events, dates, times, etc. may be missing or out-of-date. If you're an employee of the Glessner House and are interested in how to make a convenient feed of info for this site and your own, go here.