Los Angeles Fire Department Hollywood Museum

Fee: Always free

Sun. Closed
Mon. Closed
Tue. Closed
Wed. Closed
Thu. Closed
Fri. Closed
Sat. 10 AM–4 PM
Staticmap?size=240x130&markers=34.095627,-118
1355 North Cahuenga Blvd.
Hollywood, Los Angeles 90028
(323) 464 - 2727

Check the LAFD Museum website for additional hours, special pricing/discounts, and closure dates.

Nearby

800px-fallenfirefightersmemorial2cengineco
Fallen Firefighters Memorial, Engine Co. No. 27, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.
The LAFD Museum (website) is a Museum in Los Angeles.
Official description from LAFD Museum:

The history of the LAFD Historical Society goes back to 1960. On October 13, 1960, Fireman Bob Foster (Truck 17-B) was appointed the department's official historian by the Fire Commission. Foster dedicated himself to the history of the department and was effective in his position.

In 1981, Acting Chief Engineer Alan R. Evanson created a committee to support the history of the department. Two current members, Don Dodd and William Dahlquist were a part of that committee. The committee evolved into a formal organization, initially named "Olde 23s" based on the belief that the entity would be housed in old Fire Station 23. Early board meetings took place in City Hall East and minutes were delivered to the Chief Engineer, along with suggestions on action to be taken related to committee requirements and action. In 1998, Olde 23s became a non-profit public charity (501c3).

Wikipedia excerpt:
The Los Angeles Fire Department Museum and Memorial is located at Old Engine Co. No. 27, also known as Fire Station No. 27, on Cahuenga Boulevard in Hollywood. The museum houses old fire engines and fire apparatus, some dating from the 1880s. The museum also houses a reference library and fire safety learning center. The building was named a Los Angeles Cultural-Heritage Monument in 1976 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The Fallen Firefighters Memorial in front of the station consists of a memorial wall listing all of the Los Angeles firefighters who have died in the line of duty and five life-size statues of firefighters. At 20,000 square feet (1,900 m2), the Italian Renaissance revival bulidng housing Engine Co. No. 27 was the largest fire station west of the Mississippi River when it opened in July 1930. For more than 60 years, the old fire station served the Hollywood community, including the motion picture studios and the stars who lived in the Hollywood Hills. It was also used a movie location by, among others, The Three Stooges and Buster Keaton. The use of the building as both a movie location and a working fire station sometimes led to difficulties. In 1937, a real fire broke out while a Hollywood studio was filming the motion picture, "Two Platoons", at Fire Station No. 27

We don't have any current exhibitions on file, most likely because we're still collecting listings.

In the meantime, check out the LAFD Museum homepage or our exhibitions list for L.A.-wide exhibits.

Official LAFD Museum Links
aGogh in L.A.

Affiliations

LAFD Museum is affiliated with:

Note: This site is still in a alpha, unfinished form. The information for aGogh was almost entirely hand-gathered and so there may be errors and omissions. See an error? Contact us.

Membership

The LAFD Museum is supported by a membership program. See their pricing and benefits.


Help Wanted

Weed-burner

Most of this information for this site has been compiled manually, so events, dates, times, etc. may be missing or out-of-date. If you're an employee of the LAFD Museum and are interested in how to make a convenient feed of info for this site and your own, go here.